- Cooking Time: 20 minutes per 450g/ 1lb plus 20 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Ramsay of Carluke Gammon Joint
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 250ml (1/2 pint) medium sweet cider
1) Take your gammon joint and place in a large saucepan; pour over sufficient water to cover. If you wish you can add a bay leaf, 1 onion and 2 carrots to the water and this will give you a great stock for soup. If not wanting to use the cooking water as stock add some cider to the cooking water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for the correct time needed for the size of your gammon joint.
2) Remove the gammon joint from the pan, drain and score the fat into diamond shapes. Stud each diamond with a clove. Place the joint on a rack in a roasting tin. Sprinkle 2 tbsp demerara sugar. Pour over 250ml (1/2 pint) medium sweet cider. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes basting frequently.
3) Serve the hot gammon sliced with a selection of seasonal vegetables or cold with chutney and salads of your choice.